- Pet Costumes: Halloween is a fun time to dress up your pets (although probably more fun for us than them). Be on the look-out for any Halloween Dog Costume events around this time. These are fun events for pets and people to enjoy, similar to Ventura Harbor event on Oct 30th.
- Don’t leave your pets out in the yard on Halloween: there are plenty of stories of vicious pranksters who have teased, injured, stolen, even killed pets on this night.
- Trick-or-treat candies are not for pets: chocolate is poisonous to a lot of animals, and tin foil and cellophane candy wrappers can be hazardous if swallowed.
- Be careful of pets around a lit pumpkin: pets may knock it over and cause a fire. Curious kittens especially run the risk of getting burned.
- Don’t dress your cat or dog in a costume unless you know he or she loves it. Otherwise, it puts a lot of stress on the animal.
- If you do dress up your pet, make sure the costume isn’t constricting, annoying or unsafe.
- Be careful not to obstruct his or her vision; even the sweetest dogs can get snappy when they can’t see what’s going on around them.
- All but the most social dogs should be kept in a separate room during trick-or-treat visiting hours; too many strangers can be scary for a dog or cat.
- Be careful your cat or dog doesn’t dart out through an open door.
- If you’d like to get a special Halloween grooming for your dog or cat, check out our list of pet groomers in each of our local areas (depending on your location area). https://petzgazette.com/
- Places to shop for fun Halloween stuff:
Camarillo: Petropolis Pet Supply Camarillo Healthy Pet
Conejo Valley: Healthy Pet Pet Food Express Love’s Pet Protein for Pets
Moorpark: Theresa’s Country Feed & Pet,
Simi Valley: Theresa’s Country Feed & Pet, R & R Pet Supply,
Oxnard: Sailor & Friends Pet Food Express
Santa Barbara: Montecito Pet Shop George
Santa Monica: Animal Kingdom Centinela Feed Healthy Spot Protein for Pets
Ventura: Protein for Pets Sailor & Friends The Wharf Ventura Pet Barn
While this can be a fun time for people and pets alike, remember that your pets are depending on you to keep them safe from ghouls and goblins this holiday brings.